Date: March 24-25, 2018
Location: Harrisburg, PA at the Crowne Plaza
Join us for a weekend of skills development focused on creating and managing a interscholastic mountain bike team.
The Leaders’ Summit provides the opportunity for participants to learn:
- About the PA League structure and processes
- How to start a mountain bike team
- How to work with their schools
- Issues related to liability
- Unique intricacies of working with high school and middle school students
Attendance at this two-day event will ensure that anyone in a coaching role on a team will receive NICA’s minimum coaching license requirements, including the risk management course and 3 Professional Development Units (PDU’s). Attendance at the Leaders Summit will provide 9 PDU’s, Risk Management and Mountain Bike 101. More on licensing requirements can be found HERE.
Registration includes the following:
- Two days of classroom and on-the-bike instruction from PA League Leadership
- Various NICA resource documents related to starting and managing a team
- Saturday morning refreshments
- Saturday lunch
- Sunday morning refreshments
- Sunday lunch
Bring your mountain bike, helmet & appropriate outdoor riding gear for the weather.
The two day workshop will be action-packed with content focusing on attendees interested in what it takes to start a team, new coaches and existing coaches. We will be hosted by the Crowne Plaza in downtown Harrisburg. The agenda includes presentations from league leadership and open forums where last year’s coaches can share lessons learned with the newbies. No workshop would be complete without a great ride! Saturday afternoon (weather permitting) we will be leaving by bike from the front door of the hotel for the on-the-bike skills training. Groups catering to all fitness levels will be formed a group ride following that depending on trail conditions.
Join us for dinner on Saturday night at Federal Tap House for an opportunity to network with other coaches and enjoy some local food and drink within walking distance to the hotel. Sunday we’ll cover a few more workshop topics.
Cost will be $125/attendee and cover a light breakfast and deli lunch on both days. Vegetarian, vegan and gluten free options can be provided.
For those of you that need to spend the night, the Crowne Plaza is offering a special group rate of $119/night for a double room ($109 for a single). These rates are only guaranteed for reservations made before 3/14/18. Please mention “mountain bike leaders summit” when making your reservation to get the discounted rate.
SATURDAY – Agenda
|8:00-8:30||Check-in & Breakfast|
|8:30-8:45||Welcome & Introduction|
|8:45–9:30||2018 Planning – Collaboration Session|
|9:30–10:00||2017 Review and 2018 Update|
|10:00-10:45||Teen Trail Corps Update|
|11:00 –12:00||Track 1 – New Coaches: Coaching Philosophy
Track 2 – Returning Coaches: Focusing on Character Development
|12:00-1:00||Lunch – Discuss Camps|
|1:00-2:15||Track 1: New Coaches: How to start a team
Track 2: Returning Coaches: Performance v. Adventure, Performance, Composite to School District Transition
|2:30-3:30||How to run a SAFE Team|
|3:30-4:15||Planning and Organizing Group Ride|
|4:30||Group Photo (snack)|
SUNDAY – Agenda
|8:30-9:15||Conflict Management Training|
|9:15-10:00||How to structure and run a practice|
|10:00-10:30||Certifying that kids have mastered core skills before taking them on trails|
|10:30-11:00||How to plan your season (practices and races)|
|11:00-11:30||Injury Reporting @ Practice & PICL Events
|12:00-1:00||Lunch – Discuss Hometown Teams|
|1:00-4:30||On the Bike Skills 101/201, Short Course Relay|
|4:30-4:45||Closing/Distribution of Certificates of Completion|
- Leaders’ Summit Registration fee includes light breakfast and 2 meals (Saturday Breakfast through Sunday Lunch). Please note any specific dietary needs using the online registration process.
- Prerequisite Onboarding Training – Required training to be completed before Leaders’ Summit
- We recommend wearing flat pedals for all ‘On-The-Bike’ skills sessions if you are not comfortable with clip-in’s yet. Helmets and mountain bikes are mandatory for On the Bike Skills Training and group ride activities.
- NICA Coaches Manual and Mountain Bike Skills Manual are available for purchase at registration. All other summit materials will be provided in an electronic format. You may view them using a digital device during the summit or print the materials ahead of time to bring with if you prefer.