Adventure Riding and Trail Stewardship in a Jam-Packed Five Days of Fun!
Date: June 26 – 30, 2019
Location: Penn State Mont Alto Campus
Get ready to make Pennsylvania Mountain Biking better than ever by building the now and the future of this sport in PA and getting out for some incredible riding in one of PA’s most storied mountain bike destinations – Michaux State Forest!
There are four tenets to the TTC: Speak, Serve, Respect, Ride. By completing a variety of tasks focused on each of these tenets, PA students can earn the rank of TTC Captain. Attendance at our upcoming TTC Camp will help students in 9th-12th grades reach the level of Teen Trail Corps Captain in just a few short days. More importantly, students attending the TTC Camp will gain perspective and understanding on a range of trail stewardship related opportunities that exist for them both as students and as they venture out into whatever is next for them in life!
Our base camp for the weekend is Penn State’s Mont Alto Campus adjacent Michaux State Forest. Campers will sample college life as we sleep in dorms and dine at the school’s The Mill Cafe. Camp activities include trail projects, TTC badge attainment, and visits from people who have navigated their way to lives based around the incredible opportunities that are available through mountain biking and trail stewardship. Attendees will learn about sustainable trail practices and gain outdoors skills that will enhance their future woodland adventures. Campers will learn to scale trees under the supervision of PSU forestry professors and learn about careers in Forestry. We will also be taking daily rides on PA’s famous Michaux State Forest trails!
We have a dedicated and experienced staff to develop this camp but we are also looking for volunteers. If you would like to be involved, please enter you information HERE. All volunteers will need to be 18+ years old and have background checks secured.
Despite being based off of the national Teen Trail Corps program, the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Cycling League is developing the curriculum and running this camp on their own with the support of regional trail professionals. If your company would be interested in discussing sponsorship opportunities, please contact us.
More TTC Fun!
Riders and teams will be awarded points in the PA League series and prizes for engaging in trail stewardship, development, and advocacy via the Teen Trail Corps program.
Here’s an of idea of how we spend our time at camp!
WEDNESDAY – AGENDA
|3:00 PM||Check-in: Campus ID and Dorm assignments|
|4:00 PM||Getting to know each other|
|5:00 PM||Tour de Campus|
|7:15 PM||Overnight Bike Storage Explained|
|7:30 PM||TTC and what we will be doing the next few days|
|10:00 PM||Lights out|
THURSDAY/FRIDAY/SATURDAY – AGENDA
|7:30 AM||Wake up!|
|9:00 AM||Group Rides!|
|11:00 AM||Clean up bikes and campers|
|1:00 PM||TTC Work: Guest Speakers|
|to||Trail Talk, Trail Work|
|5:00 PM||Research, Outdoor Skills|
|5:00 PM||Down Time|
|6:30 PM||Evening Activities: Bike Games and Contests|
|8:30 PM||Night Hikes, Rides and Camp Fire|
|10:00 PM||Lights out|
SUNDAY – AGENDA
|7:30 AM||Wake up!|
|9:00 AM||Last Ride of Camp!|
|11:00 AM||Pack up!|
|1:00 PM||Closing Ceremonies: Getting your hard earned patches (and silly awards)!|
|2:00 PM||Parent pick up|
Recommended Packing List (Preliminary)
- Your mountain bike (be sure it’s in proper working order)
- Eye protection
- Cycling shoes (this may be your sneakers for some riders)
- Cycling clothes
- Hydration pack or water bottles and cages on bike
- Laptop or cell phone capable of connecting to the internet
- Tubes – no less than 1 per day of camp
- Blankets and sheets
- Head lamp or flashlight
- Toiletries (toothpaste, toothbrush, soap etc)
- Towels- bath and swim
- Bathing suit
- Rain gear
- Sneakers or sturdy shoes for hiking and riding
- Jeans or sweatpants
- Socks (extra socks too)
- Insect repellent (Ticks are bad this year!)
- Laundry bag for dirty clothes
- Snacks: for the rides and whenever
- Dorms are air conditioned!
- Each room has a small refrigerator.
- Up to 4 campers share a room.
- Boys and girls are housed on separate floors and at no time, may they visit each others’ floors or rooms.
- PSU Mont Alto provides Wi Fi for campers.
- Bikes must be prepped and ready to ride and will be checked for readiness at registration – get your bike in for a tune-up if you’ve not done so recently. Helmets will be checked for integrity – no cracks or dents – and for manufacturing date. Helmets that are more than 3 years beyond the date of manufacture are no longer considered safe and must be replaced prior to camp.
- Mechanicals can and do happen. We will have a basic repair station at camp. More in-depth mechanical issues or equipment failures/breakages are not covered in the cost of camp. Any costs for repair are the responsibility of the rider/parents. Should a repair be required, we will first call with information and to confirm the course of action before repairing the equipment.